Would you learn to drive a car, a totally new profession or fly a plane without a flight instructor?
It makes sense to have a professional for “showing you the ropes”, someone who has studied the subject and has many years experience. The same is true for the “new profession” that you, as an independent authors choose: Publisher.
Getting help BEFORE you write or at least before you publish, can save a lot of headache, beginner mistakes, lots of time and most important: Money! And even when you get help after your book is published, it will improve your appearance as a serious author tremendously.
Evaluating Book Appearance and Author Platform
Before we start our Publishing and Book Marketing consulting/coaching we ask our clients to fill out a questionnaire in order to evaluate their book’s appearance and if the basics of professional publishing are known and if the author platform or any kind of author brand are visible.
These are some of the gaps we discover:
- No knowledge about the “competition” of their book
- No clear picture about the potential readership demographic
- No professional author image on Social Media
- Missing author pages on Amazon or Goodreads
- Cover image not in line with the content / not attractive
- No Google+ Page for each of their books
- No email opt-in on their webpage
- No own ISBN, which means not their own publisher
- Not registered with Bowker for worldwide listing of books
- No regular blog posts on their site
- No guest posting on other blogs
- Follows only other writers on Twitter instead of readers or reviewers
- Book is in the “wrong” category on Amazon
- No transfer of Twitter / Facebook followers to Goodreads
- No interesting tweets, just hawking their books
- No email signature, or no “about.me” on blogs
- No articles written for newspapers or magazines
- No free event invitation on Goodreads or Google+
- Social Media sites are not connected with each other
- Book Cover that screems “self-published”
- No pre-publishing reviews are sent out
- No Goodreads Giveaway before book launch
…. well, this list could go on and on …
Never Too Late
My favored quote is “You never get a second chance for a first good impression”. However, there is always still a good chance to improve the author platform and the author brand, one step at a time. When all these gaps are closed, sales will pick up! But you have to do the necessary steps and the groundwork first! Let’s help you with our 30+ years of professional publishing experience and marketing studies. See also samples how we can support your marketing efforts.
If you would like to get more support in all things publishing, have your book intensively promoted and learn how to navigate social media sites – or to learn how you can make yourself a name as an author through content writing: We offer all this and more for only $159 for three months! Learn more about this individual book marketing help: http://www.111Publishing.com/Seminars
Or visit http://www.e-book-pr.com/book-promo/ to advertise your new book, specials, your KDP Select Free Days or the new Kindle Countdown Deals.
Please check out all previous posts of this blog (there are more than 980 of them : ) if you haven’t already. Why not sign up to receive them regularly by email? Just click on “Follow” in the upper line on each page – and then on “LIKE” next to it. There is also the “SHARE” button underneath each article where you can submit the article to Pinterest, Google+, Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr and StumpleUpon.
Thanks a lot for following:
http://bit.ly/VmtVAS 111Publishing @ Google+
Tagged: Alexa Ranking, author brand, author platform, Book Marketing, book promotions, book publicity, how to promote your book, How to sell more books, worldwide web ranking